Monday, November 23, 2009

Looking for some holiday spirit

I hate Mondays.  Except for when they are my Friday!  That's right.  Work today and then I am off for the rest of the week!  And Wally is home!  So.....let the holiday season begin!  We usually go to my Dad's for Thanksgiving.  It's about 3 hours from our home.  But, since Wally was coming home - and so were a lot of his friends from school - we decided not to leave our little town this year.  Ward's family was very excited that we were all going to stay for the holiday.  I even toyed with the idea of having Thanksgiving at our home.  But then thought "Nah".  I love them and all, in their own "special" way.  But when I've had enough quality time with them, it's nice to be able to get in the car and go home.  When it's at your home, well....?  You're kinda stuck until they're ready to leave! I realize that's not really being very Thanksgiving-y.  And I guess Karma decided to rear her ugly head and teach me a lesson.  My mother-in-law's father broke his hip and is in the hospital.  She's leaving to help her mom and spend time with her dad while he is in the hospital.  They'll be moving him to a retirement home when he's well enough to leave the hospital. So......looks like Thanksgiving will be at my house afterall! 

 

Seriously, I feel guilty for not wanting them there.  It's not that I don't want them there.  Gah, I sound awful.  It's that I would appreciate them helping out a little bit more. It's not all of them that cause me to make a beeline for the fridge at 11am for my favorite adult beverage!  Just some of them.  There's the nephew and brother-in-law that sit directly in front of the cheese platter and scarf the entire plate down in 3 minutes flat.  Not leaving so much as a cracker for the 18 other people that are there.  Or my sister-in-law - The Nurse.  The drug addicted nurse.  She'll have ingested enough painkillers to put her out of commission just in time so she doesn't have to help clean up.  How flippin' convenient! While I'm mashing the potatoes, slicing the ham and whipping the cream - do you think one of you could possibly set the table?  And after you're done stuffing your faces, rinse your dishes.  I'm not even asking for anyone to load the dishwasher, just clean up after yourselves. 

 

I thought MAYBE my Dad would come to my house, since we're not going there.  At least my bonus Mom would help. Heck no!  They going on a romantic weekend getaway.  Perfect!  All I want is some damned quality time, making Happy Thanksgiving memories with my family and that ain't gonna happen.  There are 51 other weeks in the year to have a romantic getaway.  Couldn't he spend just a little time with his oh-so-loving-sunny-dispositioned daughter?  Is that too much to ask? 

 

So.....off to the store after work today to pick up enough food to feed 24 people.  And enough wine to help that smile stay plastered on my face the whole.entire.day! (geez, I am getting to be more and more like my mother everyday. wish you were here, Mom.)

 

Happy Thanksgiving all! 

 

 

PS  I do feel bad for having these feelings.  This is the time of year to be thankful for what we have and not focus on the faults of the in-laws.  And I do have so much to be thankful for. Wally and Beaver are outstanding boys.  Funny, smart and the loves of our lives.  Ward has worked so hard to get to where he is!  He is a great husband and even greater father.  A good example for our boys.  We are all healthy! 

 

If my husband's family ever found this blog....I would die!  But it's better to spew it all out here instead of telling them all to go to hell on Thanksgiving, right?  Tell me I'm right?  I'm not some awful, ungrateful bitch? Right? Well at least not that awful or ungrateful.  Bitch? Well, I imagine if they had a blog, there's would go something like this today:

 

Mom just called.  She's not going to be able to be here for Thanksgiving! Great! That means we have to go over to the bitch's house this year.  Won't that be fun?  Why does she have to be so uptight at Thanksgiving?  I mean if she didn't want us to eat the cheese and crackers, why'd she put them out for pete's sake? And who the hell cares about garlic whipped potatoes?  Why can't she just make the normal, lumpy ones that we all like?  And why the heck does she get so bent out shape if we're 45 minutes late?  Load the dishwasher?  Heck no.  Last time we put all 75 plates and 41 cups in there, she rearranged everything!  It all would have gotten cleaned just fine the way we had it stacked.  We were pretty proud for having fit all the dishes in ONE load! Drink another glass of wine and loosen' up, woman!

6 comments:

Becca said...

I have nothing to add to your post, but to say if you want to run away, there is always a comfy place to come hang out here in Oregon!

That is exactly why I love quiet holidays!

Happy Thanksgiving friend, I hope that it is better than it sounds! :-)

Dana said...

I understand where you're coming from! This is why I live 500 miles away from my in-laws.
We decided to help out at the church and serve Thanksgiving dinner to the less fortunate. No 'taters, no dishwashing and...alas, no wine.
Happy T-Day antway!!!

dana
xoxo

Tracie said...

O june, you're so silly! But atleast you have all those days off to prepare! HAHAHA

Anonymous said...

In 25 years of holiday dinners at my mother-in-law's home, I skipped doing dishes one time. My husband's one sister-in-law has NEVER lifted a finger - EVER. The other "girls" make half-hearted attempts to bring some dishes to the sink. Guess what? The year I refused to do dishes, the rest of the clan left them for my mother-in-law to do all by herself. I drink a wine cooler or two before we go to my mother-in-law's home for holiday dinners. If I didn't chill out, I would likely rip some people a new butthole. Happy Holidays! LOL.

Kathleen

Jane! said...

There, there Junie. Of course you can complain on your blog. ALL you WANT because if that's not one of the benefits of a blog, cyberspace would be pretty lonely. And useless.
As for the in-laws, wear your B proudly! Otherwise, they'll be stopping over for meals ALL the time.

Besides, who SAYS you can't get in the car and leave your own house? Well, unless your wine box is half empty. The chief of police might have problems with that.

Chin up, Junie!
It's the only way you can drain your wine glass.

Kat said...

Wow, are you sure we aren't living parallel lives? Had that same in-law crowd at my house and ONLY becuase I got suckered into it. Was VERY clear that I did not have time to plan or prepare but they were more than welcome to celebrate at my house. Hmmm... when I asked on Tuesday what the plans were and who was bringing what, I discovered that Bitch One wasn't coming (THANK YOU LORD), Bitch Two was coming and bringing a ham, Sister One was brining green beans and Sister Two was bringing mashed potatoes. And there were 25 coming - so off to the store I went and managed to make everything else ALL BY MYSELF. Did anyone offer to clean? Uh, no. Better yet, Bitch Two calls at 10 am to let me know she was dropping the ham off for me to COOK! GAH! Never, never again.